I realize when the gym gets less and less crowded towards the weekends I realize its August. The heat is brutal during the day and lots of people are on vacation. Beach food anybody?
(beach side cooking - grilled sea bream stuffed with lemon)
Although I am not a lettuce and field green guy I can appreciate a well prepared salad with fresh ingredients. I am talking about decadent lobster salad. Many people don’t think of it as a salad but lets face it this is a salad for the not-so-many-greens eater.
I dig lobster roll-salad
When time allows in the peak of summer we escape the city. We usually go beach side. Everybody in the family seems to have a different place in minde where to get “their” favorite lobster roll. At least we have some sort of understanding which is that everybody agrees that they don’t agree to go to one particular place to eat lobster rolls. The simple solution for my folks is that I prepare lobster rolls to their specific needs. Since I dig lobster rolls not a bad thing thou.
(small bite lobster roll)
My lobster roll
1. I prefer to use small lobsters (around 1 pound). Generously calculate one lobster per person. Bring a large pot of water to boil (I cook four lobsters in about 1 ½ gallons of water). No need to add salt.
2. Put lobsters head side first into the boiling water then shut the heat off.
3. Once the lobster has steeped in the hot water for 10 minutes transfer to a bowl and rinse with cold water.
4. When cool enough to handle twist lobster tail off (hold one hand around lobster tail and the other hand on lobster body and twist). Line your palm with a kitchen towel then put the lobster tail in your hand (curved outside shell facing your palm) break lobster tail shell by closing your hand palm (like you would make a fist) then peel shell of. You can use also kitchen sicssors to cut tail shell off. Put lobster claw and knuckle into a folded-in-half kitchen towel and give it a hard whack with the back of a heavy knife or another heavy object like a mallet. Unfold the cracked lobster claws and knuckles then break shells from lobster meat (I find kitchen sicssors helpful to get all the shells of the lobster knuckles). Discard shells or use for other purpose.
5. I like to cut the lobster in large chunks (1-inch pieces) and then I mix it with cut green celery stalks (1/8-inch sized dice) for crunch. As long the lobster is of good quality meaning plump and sweet in flavor I suggest adding a minimal amount of mayonnaise (2 tablespoons for four 1-pound lobsters. I use Hellmans-style mayonaise when I cook for my family).
6. My lobster roll mix gets a touch of sea salt and cayenne and the juice of one fresh lime brightens the flavor.
7. A top loading bun (pan, butter-toasted on its two sides) is a must. I think that is the difference between good and great.
You can get excellent quality Maine lobster at The lobster Place directly shipped to your door steps.